Last updated on - June 12th, 2018
Let me ask you a simple question, are you a technical tester? Explore this article to know how to become a technical tester. Also, as per my thoughts what you should be doing as a technical tester.
Let’s discuss how you will be more productive and will get more opportunities if you are a technical tester.
Does It Really Necessary for the Manual Software Testers to be Technical?
Usually, what happens is testers are known to follow the steps written in the test cases.
Being a non-technical tester, you will not be very comfortable doing things which are not mentioned in the test cases or documents.
Whenever it is required to perform any step randomly, you will have less confidence in the execution and its output or results.
Are You a Technical Tester?
What I believe is, you don’t need to be technical like programmers.
However, you should be technical enough to understand the technical stuff about the application under test (AUT) as mentioned in below points
- Should be able to do technical configuration of the system.
- Should be able to understand code change impact.
- Understand the architecture of the application.
- Should be able to understand SQL queries, configuration files, basic scripts.
- Testers should be able to understand configurations and settings done for automated software testing.
- Should be able to extract valuable information from the error files, or system logs.
- It’s good to have the basic understanding of automation concepts and automated software testing tools like Selenium WebDriver.
What Should You Do, If You Are Not a Technical Tester?
It’s not difficult to become a technical tester.
What I believe is, you can easily become a technical tester just by following below points
- Start asking questions – Whatever you do either on your current project or you are learning something new, keep questioning if something is not clear to you. Do not accept things as is.
- Take interest in technical stuff – Start taking interest in the technical portion of your work. Do not run away from it.
- Find the root cause – when you face any issues or challenges, try to explore the system as much as possible and find the root cause.
- Try to know other project issues – Be in touch with your friends and colleagues to know about the issues they are facing. keep exploring as much as possible.
- Learn automation testing basics– Further, you can learn automation concepts and automation testing basics for beginners and follow these steps to move to automation testing easily to enhance your career.
- Accept Challenges – Start accepting challenges in your day to day life and start doing something new every day. It’s OK if you are not able to complete the task on time which is something new to you. However, it’s NOT OK if you will not accept it. Why not start taking challenges in automation testing.
If you follow above points, your life as a tester will become easy. You will be more productive and confident about your work.
Let everyone know if you are a technical tester and what technical work you do as a manual tester.
Let me know if you have any concerns, by commenting below or send an email directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you like this post you can help others by sharing it with your friends and loved one using below links.