Here, I am going to share my thoughts on how to learn automation testing easily and start your automation journey.
Even I have also learned automation testing using the same technique and it was very useful in my initial days of career.
A lot of our colleagues and friends think about learning automation testing and moving their career to automation testing.
If you are a manual tester, I am sure you have also thought about it.
At a time what you all do is collect all the required pieces of information from different sources and try to act upon it.
But the first thought that comes to your mind is “Can I learn a programming language?”.
First Thought That Comes To Your Mind
First thought that comes to mind when manual testers think about switching their career to automation testing is like
- Do I need to learn a programming language?
- Why should I learn automation, when doing great in manual testing?
- I am not good at programming, how will I learn it?
- No, I can not learn coding and blah blah blah…
I have seen many tutorials where they suggest to learn a programming language first, practice it and once you are comfortable, start learning automation testing.
That’s the wrong approach…
As per my understanding, that’s not a correct way of starting your automation testing journey.
I will tell you why so.
Author Thoughts – How to Learn Automation Testing Easily
Thinking about automation testing pops up too many questions, which put a question mark on your capacity to learn something new.
If you are a manual tester and have no prior experience in coding or automation testing then it can be difficult to learn to code, if you follow above-mentioned approach.
You will never feel confident that now I am good at programming and I should start learning automation testing.
Instead, I would suggest you, learn automation using the following approach:
- Prepare yourself to learn something new. Be patient, you cannot learn it overnight.
- Start exploring automation testing basic concepts, which applies equally to all automation tools.
- Target one popular automation tool and start exploring its features and benefits, tool configurations, different settings, and menus.
- Keep exploring the use of each configuration, try record and play option (if supported), explore supported programming language. All these details you can easily get from their official website.
- Pick any simple application and try to automate very simple scenario like launch the browser and navigate to application URL etc.
- At this point, don’t worry about your programming skills. If you don’t know something, you can easily learn it gradually as it required.
- Do practical – whatever you read from different sources, it’s very important to implement it practically to understand it better.
- Keep exploring selected automation tool and learn something new every day.
With this approach, you will gain some confidence and you will enjoy learning new things.
By the time you will realize that you have started dealing with coding, you would have learned many things about automation testing and experiencing your journey.
Share your thoughts and let everyone know what approach you are following to learn automation testing.
Let me know if you have any concerns, by commenting below or send an email directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you like this post you can help others by sharing it with your friends and loved ones using below links.